Editor: V. Dimov, M.D., Allergist/Immunologist, Cleveland Clinic, Florida
How to use EpiPen. Epinephrine auto-injector (EAI) in the form of a device (EpiPen) was first introduced in 1980.
Video instructions on use of the EpiPen (epinephrine/adrenaline) autoinjector for anaphylaxis from the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy (ASCIA):
How To Use an EpiPen video from Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio:
The action plans for food allergy and anaphylaxis include the use of epineprine as first line of treatment.
- There is no cure for food allergies at this time
- 8% of U.S. children under 18 have at least one food allergy
- Epinephrine is the first line life-saving medication in severe food allergic reaction. Always carry an EpiPen with you, and remember these simple memory rules in severe food allergic reaction:
- "No Epi, no eat-y" (always carry an EpiPen with you, don't sit down to eat if you don't have an EpiPen available)
- "If it's more than the skin, the Epi goes in" (only mild hives may respond to antihistamine, for anything else you may need an EpiPen)
"How to C.A.R.E. for students with food allergies" is a free online course available at AllergyReady.com
Tips for managing food allergy (MJA, 2004):
- Always carry an epineprine auto-injector (EAI)
- Always read food labels
- Ask questions about food preparation (be aware of the risk of cross-contamination)
- No label/don't eat
- No Epi/don't eat
- Tell friends about a serious food allergy
- Tell friends if feeling unwell, especially after eating
Eleanor Garrow, Vice President of Education and Outreach for FAAN, talks about living with food allergies, 2010.
FAANPAL | 2010 | A presentation of food allergy basics by Eleanor Garrow, Vice President of Education and Outreach for FAAN.
Food allergy management (click to enlarge the image).
This 2-minute video shows the Sanofi's new voice guided Auvi-Q epinephrine injector in action:
Food Allergy Information from ACAAI
Free pamphlets (brochures) from National Institutes of Health - Publications Order Form.
Food allergy and anaphylaxis training - free at AllergyReady.com
Managing Food Allergy - COFAR video, 2012.
Food Allergy: An Overview for Patients (PDF)
Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Food Allergy in the United States: Executive Summary of the NIAID-Sponsored Expert Panel Report (PDF)
Videos from the KFA channel on YouTube -"Kids With Food Allergies"
Cetirizine is better than diphenhydramine (Benadryl) in the treatment of acute food-induced allergic reactions. JACI, 2011.
"Epinephrine is to anaphylaxis as an AED (defibrillator) is to someone suffering cardiac arrest. Life-saving." Forbes, 2012.
How easy to use is Auvi-Q epinephrine autoinjector? 95% of children were successful on first attempt (mean age 11) http://buff.ly/13awHiK